The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
August 2009 Edition
President Ian Cooper called the meeting to order at 8:00 pm on August 1 at Indian Hill Observatory. 12 members and 6 guests were present. .
The minutes from the July meeting are posted on the website. No additions or corrections were noted by the members present.
Steve provided the following financial data:
Cash in Bank - $2,155.85, Petty Cash - $10.00, Total Cash - $2,165.85. .
For the month, we paid telephone in the amount of $51.71, electricity $31.14. .
Nothing to Report
No update at this time. .
Steve Fishman and Bob Modic continue working to acquire a Slide Scanner to archive all the clubs 35 mm slides. Several suggestions on models and sources were offered..
- John Gorka placed an IDA display in the Chagrin Falls Public Library. It will be there until the end of August
- Ian has requested a “dome operating instructions” book for the 6” refractor and mount. A suggestion was made to create short video instructions that could be viewed on the any of the PC's at Indian Hill.
- Upcoming Star Parties – see “Calendar of Events” on CVAS website.
Dan Rothstein is donating a picnic table. Ian Cooper volunteered to re-finish the top.
- Larry Boros was contacted by Shirley Richards. She wants the property we are purchasing under land contract to be transferred so that CVAS owns the deed for the 2.06 acres of land that we now occupy. She desires to avoid any probate complications in the event something happens to her. Larry will follow up with requirements to make this happen.
- Stump Grinding – we have enough donations to rent a stump grinder to remove the stump in the lower parking lot and remove the stumps and roots on the drive going up the Hill. Scheduled for 8/8/09
- Super Star Party – Voted to NOT accept a donation from Lake Park Systems should the
event be rained out.
- There was a proposal to place a "pier" between the dome and the main building, near the railing for mounting the 10" LX200.
Director of Observations:
Bob provided his monthly observation report for August. For Bob’s complete report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website.
The Monthly Sky Calendar page on our website has been completely revised and updated, and contains details and images which complement Bob’s monthly meeting reports.
Our next meeting is 9/5/09 at Indian Hill starting at 7:30 pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm.