The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
December 2009 Edition
The meeting was called to order by President Ian Cooper at 7:30 pm on 12/07/09 at The Rookery. 13 members were present. The weather was not good and Ian wanted to keep the meeting short.
The minutes from the November meeting are posted on the website. No additions or corrections were noted by the members present.
Steve read off the dues update by member.
Cash in Bank - $1,364.44, Petty Cash - $26.00, Total Cash - $1,390.44.. .
For the month we paid:
telephone in the amount of $51.75
- $600 to Marty to pay off the Gemini mount.
$1,000 to Shirley Richards - this is the final payment on the land. Thanks to various donations the past 2 months, we paid off our debt 18 months earlier than planned.
Tom was not in attendence.
Ken was up at the hill and everything
looks fine. He made a list of projects for next year and will e-mail them out for review,
No visitors were at this meeting.
- Ian and Russ went out to North Kingsville on November 12th for the International Year Of Astronomy at their library. About 75 people showed up and we made $50. On November 14th another IYA event was held at the Andover library. Gus and Ian were there and about 275 people showed up and they donated $50 for a total of $100 in donations.
- On Saturday night 12/5/09 the Christmas party was held at
Joe and Diane Petricks. Many thanks to Joe and Diane for again hosting a great party and we all had a great time.
- Aaron Worley handed out several versions of sample brochures to evaluate. They looked great and some suggestions were made and the samples were marked and returned to Aaron.
- Ian will offer changes to the Constitution for consideration at the next meeting. .
- Larry mentioned the Frontiers of Astronomy lecture this next Thursday evening at he Natural History Museum. Last month the lecture by Robin Diardullo of Penn State was about Planetary Nebulas. Robin suggested a book to read called “The life of the Cosmos” by Lee Smolin
We need addresses and e-mail addresses for new members. Larry will generate a form to collect relevant information on members and bring it to the next meeting
- The Club website needs a revamp. Larry and Steve need to get together on the format and security of the website. .
- Gus is going to talk to wineries to see if they would like
CVAS to have star parties at the wineries as a way for CVAS to earn some
- Now that the property is paid for we need to plan new
features for IHO including a pavilion for picnics. We need to talk to Shirley Richards about CVAS acquiring the triangle shaped piece of land along the pine trees so that the CVAS property is a consistent 125 feet wide. We also need to consider a first right of refusal on buffer land to the West in the event the Richards family sells the property to a developer. We need to mend fences with the Rhodes sisters next door to the East.
- Reviewed Calendar Dates : Girdled Road date on Saturday night. There is a Girdled Road star party each month during the winter. We should have some Geauga Park District dates at the next meeting. We have a full list of Girdled Road programs for 2010. We have a February star party at the Rookery. OTAA will be held at IHO on Saturday June 12th which is a New Moon weekend.
- Dan wants articles for the Skywatcher. He would like them in MS Word Doc format.;
Director of Observations:
Bob handed out his monthly observation report for Decvember. For his complete report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website.
Our next meeting is January 2 at Sunnybrook Preserve at 12474 Heath Road. Start time is 7:30 PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:17 pm.