Indian Hill Observatory
Calendar of Events
The Log Book
Web News-Main Page
Monthly Sky Calendar
We Observe - by A. Mallama
Updated February 15, 2009
The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
February 2009 Edition
The meeting was called to order at 7:30 pm on February 2 at The Rookery by Steve F in Ian's absence. 11 members and 3 visitors were present. .
The minutes from the January meeting are posted on the website. No additions or corrections were noted by the members present.
Steve acknowledged the passing of Keith Richards, and described the many ways Keith helped our club become established at Indian Hill. CVAS will make a donation to the Cardinal Athletic Association in his honor.
Steve provided the following financial data:
Cash in Bank - $2,806.50, Petty Cash - $41.00, Total Cash - $2,847.50 .
For the month, we paid, telephone in the amount of $51.83 and electricity $4.12.
Dan R was not present
Marty was absent, but reported via email that all is well at the Hill. There was no snow in the building. Russ reported that he and Marty were at the observatory one day in January, observing in the North Observatory. The snow was so deep, he could not make it up to the Hill.
No update at this time. .
The club welcomed 3 visitors at the meeting tonight: Becky Robinson, Rick
and Stan Marchek. .
- Steve F. described the status of our website design.
- An organizational meeting of the Geauga County IDA committee will be held on Monday, February 9 at The Rookery.
- .The club calendar was reviewed.
A new IDA logo, being designed by the Geauga Park District, will be included in our next run of bumper stickers.
- A motion was made rejoin the IDA. Dues are $50 for our club to be a member. The motion passed.
- CVAS has been asked by the Cleveland Museum of Natural History to participate in an event in April relating to their 100 hours of Astronomy program. Steve F will contact the museum to obtain additional information.
- Becky reported on the star party at Pen Glen last month
- CVAS will have a display case at the Chagrin Library starting 4/1/09.
- John Gorka reported that 6 lighting violations have been brought to the attention of the Chester Township Zoning Inspector.
Director of Observations:
Steve F read Bob's monthly report for February and provided copies. For Bob’s complete observation report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website.
Discussion occurred involving various topics including reasons for changing angle between Saturn’s ring plane and our line of sight.
Due to prevailing cloudy weather, not much observing was done by the members present during the past month. Russ & Ron reported limited use of the North observatory last month.
Our next meeting is 3/2/09 at the Rookery 7:30 pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM. A partly cloudy sky allowed for some observing after the meeting. Roseanne set up up her scope. .