Indian Hill Observatory
Calendar of Events
The Log Book
Web News-Main Page
Monthly Sky Calendar
We Observe - by A. Mallama
Update January 18, 2007
The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
January 2007 Edition
Meeting called to order on January 12 at 7:35 PM in the Nature Education Building at the North Chagrin Resevation. 13 members were present.
Minutes for the December meeting are on the CVAS website. No additions or corrections were noted by the members present.
Member dues were summarized.
$1,447.80 in Bank, Petty Cash - $31.00. Total - $1,478.80 For the month, we paid:
- $50 phone bill.
- $30 for monthly insurance premium.
- $300 for land payment. Balance is $5,100.
Marty was not present. No updates this month.
Tom distributed copies of the January issue of the Valley Skywatcher to the members present at the meeting.
Director of Observations:
Bob read his report. For his complete observation report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website.
Discussion took place regarding comet McNaught. On the evening of January 10 2007, Steve F and Russ S succeeded in photographing the comet low in the western sky at twilight. Refer to the Special Photos on our website to view the photographs and read details. Bob also visually observed the comet when at 6 degrees above the horizon and followed it down to an altitude of about 1 degree.
Bob reported on the Boy Scout event held last month in Wickliffe. Bob and Vickie made a PowerPoint presentation on the solar system and answered questions. About 40 scouts and parents attended.
Note: After the meeting, Bob showed on his laptop the 2 videos he made during the last couple of weeks of asteroid occultations.
- Ian reported on the progress in planning the club’s new informational pamphlet. Tom & Vickie have been helping with this work. Some of the ideas include listing the types of events we are involved in, and providing some history of the club. A suggestion was made to include an application for a star party in the pamphlet.
- New Calendar dates:
Geauga Park District at Swine Creek, Friday June 8, Setup at 9:00 start 9:30 , Saturday is the backup date. Moon will be in last quarter.
Lake Metroparks is interested in conducting a daytime event at Chapin Forest sometime in August during a weekday, and would appreciate our assistance.
As part of Friday in the Garden, the Holden Arboretum would like to conduct a Star Lab presentation inside sometime around the beginning of March
- Vickie & Steve reported on their Science Olympiad activities. Steve started the high school program in November and is currently working on the 6 th session. Vickie & Dan Gauldin began the middle school program recently and have 5 more sessions to complete.
- Tom suggested we consider a star party for members and guests at Indian Hill sometime around September/October
The meeting adjourned at 8:10 pm