Indian Hill Observatory
Calendar of Events
The Log Book
Web News-Main Page
Monthly Sky Calendar
We Observe - by A. Mallama
Update May 8, 2005
The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
May 2005 Edition
Meeting called to order at 8:05 PM. About 15 members present.
April minutes are on our web site.
Bank - $1,420.04, Petty Cash - $60.00, Electric Fund - $1,825.00 Total - $3,305.04.
1. Paid $18 phone bill.
2. Paid $146 for quarterly insurance
3. Paid $325 to Marty to fix the 16 inch. Motion made, seconded and passed to approve this expenditure.
1. Fixed computer drive on 16”. Replaced MOSFETs on board.
2. Graded drive/walkway down the hill.
3. Tom Wargula cut the grass with a push mower.
4. Our push mower needs a new recoil starter.
5. 10X16 roll of roof observatory could be transported to the hill by Claridon Barns. We will get a cost for this. We could rent an auger to put holes in the ground for footers for 10X16 roll off roof observatory.
6. Marty will contact an electrician to plan electrical runs.
7. 12” Meade was given to Don Hines to run for a while.
The drive crapped out again. The scope now has to go back to Meade.
8. Jim Brownfields astronomy equipment including a Losmondy mount, 13” Coulter, a small Meade mount, and some eye pieces are available for sale. We can publish a list on the web
Director of Observations:
For Bob's complete observation report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our websitee.
Bob passed around copies of the CVAS Monthly Sky Calendar.
Saturn is becoming increasingly difficult to see.
Every week NASA has been posting photos from Cassini on the NASA website.
Jupiter is a month past opposition and looks good.
Mars is starting to slowly improve and rises before sunrise.
Comet Machholz is still visible at about 9th mag.
Occultation of Antares occurs the morning of May 24th.
1.) Dan had some older astronomy books available.
2.) Dan has permission to walk onto the Crow property. Horizons can be viewed from tonight. Pictures of the property are on warm up PC. Look in the Geauga Property folder.
3.) Oberle Scope – We had another meeting on Geauga Parks observatory project. GPD is negotiating with Case on the observatory property.
4.) Light Pollution – Larry and John will be working with Channel 5 reporter Duane Pohlman on improving Cleveland City lighting. Larry contacted Cleveland Councilman Kevin Conwell and they plan to have lunch together within two weeks.
5.) OTAA on June 4th. Steve will create a list of things to bring on the website. The list is on the Bulletin Board.
1.) IDA $50.00 renewal approved.
2.) Star party at Geauga Park District's Big Creek Park on May 13. The park is located Robinson road, north of Chardon.
3.) Next meeting and OTAA is on June 4.
4) A couple of Scotch pines on Keith's property have fallen onto our drive. We will rope them up first to see if they can be saved. We have Keith's OK to remove them as an alternative.
Motion to adjourn at 9:20 PM