Indian Hill Observatory
Calendar of Events
The Log Book
Web News-Main Page
Monthly Sky Calendar
We Observe - by A. Mallama
Update May 8, 2007
The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
May 2007 Edition
The meeting was called to order at 8:00 pm on May 5 2007 at the Indian Hill Observatory. 18 members and 3 visitors were present.
Minutes for the April meeting are on the CVAS website. No additions or corrections were noted by the members present.
Steve F summarized the status of member dues.
Cash in Bank - $1,119.06, Petty Cash - $31.00, Total Cash - $1,150.06
For the month, we paid the insurance premium in the amount of $30.00, telephone in the amount of $50.00, electricity $5.67, and the cost of re-aluminizing the 12" mirror in the amount of $190.00. We also paid Day $78 for various repair items related to the 12 inch.
Prior to the meeting, Marty reviewed the basic operation of the 16” telescope and the computer control software.” .
Tom provided the May/June 2007 edition of the Valley Skywatcher. Tom asked for members to complete the telescope survey.
Visitors included Fred with daughter, and Jill Grant. All expressed interest in the club’s activities. .
- Tom reported the 12.5” mirror is near completion and will be shipped to us on Monday. Dan is investigating areas on the lower level to place the pier.
- PUCO has granted the outdoor lighting complaint filed by Larry against First Energy. Larry provided some details about this 1.5 year process. Needless to say, we’re all appreciative of Larry’s great effort and the positive outcome.
- Vickie described our setup at the CMNH Astronomy Day on April 21. Attendance was down this year primarily due to the nice weather that day.
- Our calendar of events was reviewed for existing dates, and several new events were described and will be placed on the calendar.
- Tom indicated the Chagrin and Gates Mills libraries would like us to participate in their summer reading programs. However, a date has not yet been set.
- Steve F said the CMNH would like us to join them on Sunday 8/12 at the time of the Perseid Meteor Shower. Due to the interest expressed, Steve will respond to CMNH and work with them to select a site for the event.
(NOTE: On Sunday, the day after the meeting, Clyde Simpson of the Museum told us that The North Chagrin Reservation offered a location for observing.).
- Bob has 3 new dates for the calendar: On 5/19 the Mahoning club will host a star party at the Scenic Vista State Park . On 8/11 the Geauga Park District will conduct the Moths & Meteors event. And 9/14 is set for a star party at Beartown Lake .
Director of Observations:
Bob reviewed his monthly report for April. For his complete observation report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website. The members engaged in general discussion about their various observing activities during the last month.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM. The sky cleared for about an hour where we did some observing.