Indian Hill Observatory
Calendar of Events
The Log Book
Web News-Main Page
Monthly Sky Calendar
We Observe - by A. Mallama
Update September 9, 2008
The Valley SkyWatcher Magazine
A Publication of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 11 Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
September 2008 Edition
The meeting was called to order at 7:50 pm on September 6 at Indian Hill Observatory. 20 members were present. .
om provided the minutes from the August meeting since Ron was absent from that meeting.
Steve provided the following financial data:
Cash in Bank - $2,975.39, Petty Cash - $40.00, Total Cash - $3,015.39 .
For the month, we paid, telephone in the amount of $50.60, electricity $4.24.
A motion was made to approve the annual insurance premium in the amount of $325.00. The motion passed
Dan R. reported that the gravel work for the driveway at the Observatory Park has been completed.
Marty reported that Russ & Ken painted the main observatory building, and made a motion that the club spends an additional $150.00 to put a second coat of paint on the building, and a coat on the dome observatory building as well. The motion passed.
The next Valley Skywatcher is close to completion, and will be available at our next business meeting
The club welcomed Roger Welton from Ashtabula , and Marty Mullet along with the Newbury Boy Scout troop
- No Old business was discussed.
- We decided to participate in a star party at Penitentiary Glen on Friday 10/24/08. This is an offer that the club made as a rain date for the Super Star Party. That August 2008 event was rained out.
The club intends to participate in a star party in connection with the Observatory Park , to occur on either 11/1/08 or 11/8/08. We decided to hold both dates open at this point
- Tom reported that the Geauga Park District would like CVAS to join with them, the Great Lakes Science Center , and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History in planning activities for the 2009 International Year of Astronomy.
- Tom also reported that the Observatory Park is interested in CVAS conducting 4 star parties next year.
There will be an Observatory Park volunteer meeting on 9/29/08 at 7:00 pm at the Myers Center at the Big Creek Park . This meeting is open to interested CVAS members.
- The nomination of club officers for the next year will be on the agenda at our business meeting in October. This is the last meeting at Indian hill for the season. The November meeting will be at the Rookery
Director of Observations:
Bob provided his monthly report for September, and provided copies. For Bob’s complete observation report, please visit the Monthly Sky Calendar on our website. After Bob’s remarks, members reported their recent observing activities.
The skies were clear, and most people spent time after the meeting to observe. Ron and Russ gave a session on how to operate the 2 scopes in the North Observatory.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM.